- 1530 – Pope Clement wrote to Henry VIII forbidding him to marry (Anne Boleyn) and threatened him with excommunication from the church. We know how this turned out.
- 1544 – The nephew of Stephen Gardiner, Germaine Gardiner, was executed for denying royal supremacy. He was hanged, drawn and quartered at Tyburn.
- 1539 – Sir Nicholas Carew was beheaded on Tower hill for treason.
- 1566 – Assassination of David Rizzio (Riccio). He was the private secretary and good friend of Mary, Queen of Scots. Rizzio was murdered by Mary’s husband, the English Henry, Lord Darnley and his men…in front of her.
- 1578 – Death of Lady Margaret Douglas, Countess of Lennox. Margaret was the daughter of Henry VIII’s sister, Margaret Tudor and Archibald Douglas, 6th Earl of Angus.
- Death of Lady Frances Radcliffe – Lady of the Bedchamber to Queen Elizabeth I.
- 1452 – Birth of Ferdinand II, the Catholic, King of Aragon/Sicily. He was the father of Katherine of Aragon
- 1503 – Birth of Ferdinand I, German emperor
- 1513 – Death of John de Vere, 13th Earl of Oxford, English commander and politician, Lord High Constable of England
- 1524 – King Henry VIII had a jousting accident after he forgot to lower his visor in a joust against his friend, Charles Brandon, Duke of Suffolk.
- 1526 – Marriage of Holy Roman Emperor, Charles V and Isabella of Portugal (Parents of Philip II of Spain)
- 1538 – Birth of Thomas Howard, 4th Duke of Norfolk; executed in 1572 by Queen Elizabeth I
- 1513 – Giovanni di Lorenzo de’ Medici was proclaimed Pope Leo X.
- 1521 – Death of Andrew Forman, Archbishop of St. Andrews at Dunfermline.
- 1539 – Death of Thomas Boleyn, Earl of Wiltshire and Ormond. He was the father of Anne, Mary and George Boleyn.
- 1537 – Death of William Haydock via execution. William was a Cistercian monk and was hanged for his involvement of the Pilgrimage of Grace.
- 1540 – Death of Henry Bourchier, Earl of Essex who died after falling off his horse. The title, Earl of Essex was then given to Thomas Cromwell. Bourchier was nephew to Elizabeth Woodville, queen consort of Edward IV through his mother Anne Woodville.
- 1601 – Execution of Sir Gelly Meyrick at Tyburn. He was a Welshman who was hanged, drawn and quartered for his part in the rebellion planned by Robert Devereux.
Ridgway, Claire; On This Day in Tudor History
Wikipedia: List of Historical Anniversaries